Sunday, April 13, 2008

Psalm 1

Happy are those who don't listen to the wicked, who don't go where sinners go, who don't do what evil people do. They love the Lord's teachings, and they think about those teachings day and night. They are strong like a tree planted by a river. The tree produces fruit in season, and its leaves don't die. Everything they do will succeed.

But wicked people are not like that. They are like chaff that the wind blows away. So the wicked will not escape God's punishment. Sinners will not worship with God's people. This is because the Lord takes care of his people, but the wicked will be destroyed.


Matthew 15--Jesus speaking
I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in me, and I in him...he bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing.

If anyone does not abide in me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them up, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this, God is glorified--that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. Just as God has loved me, I have also loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love; just as I have kept God's commandments, and I abide in his love.

These things I have spoken to you, so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be made full.



ABIDE
verb (used without object) 1. to remain; continue; stay: Abide with me.
2. to have one's abode; dwell; reside: to abide in a small Scottish village.
3. to continue in a particular condition, attitude, relationship, etc.; last.
–verb (used with object) 4. to put up with; tolerate; stand: I can't abide dishonesty!
5. to endure, sustain, or withstand without yielding or submitting: to abide a vigorous onslaught.
6. to wait for; await: to abide the coming of the Lord.
7. to accept without opposition or question: to abide the verdict of the judges.
8. to pay the price or penalty of; suffer for.


My thoughts:
-The language (as translated at least) is kinda harsh in the Psalm. "Wicked", "evil." It takes much for me to consider someone or something wicked or evil. Perhaps you or others can relate to that type of language. In particular, maybe that author. Currently, I do not see much around me as wicked. I do see bad things and bad people, and bad things that people do to each other. But it doesn't fire me up like that. I guess that speaks more to my level emotions.
-I relate more to the broken branch. What I don't like is the idea of being thrown away. Like I'm such a disappointment.
-At the end of the excerpt from Matthew, Jesus Christ says that he's telling us all these thing to give us joy. Interesting. Joy. I know there are books out there and sermons preached on joy. And certainly, if you know me well, joy has been at a minimum in my life for the last 2 1/2 years. Joy...that would be nice.

Your thoughts...?

No comments: