Monday, April 21, 2008

Baseball

So, I like baseball. Here's a blog by Rob Neyer who writes for ESPN. This is one of a few blogs I read about baseball on a regular basis. If you are also a baseball fan, I'd also recommend a couple of other ESPN columnists. His columns lean toward analysis of the game--statistics and such. The one I visit the most is a blog by Buster Olney, but you have to be an "ESPN Insider" to read it (monthly fee, which I gladly pay). His blog is more about keeping a pulse on happenings with every team, filled with links to beat writers in every market, so you get the little details which make following a local team so much fun. In all honesty, that is what makes me enjoy the Royals so much. I can get so much detailed information and analysis on a daily basis here in KC through newspapers, radio, television, internet, and water cooler talk. So, basically, Olney's column directs you to all those things in each baseball city.

I read Sports Illustrated regularly as a kid. Well, not the whole magazine. I would skip to the 2-3 page baseball section to read Peter Gammons, and I would have to say his columns were the greatest fuel to my baseball fandom. These days he writes periodically for ESPN (also an insider feature I believe). If I am correct, he is going to be a part of the Baseball Hall of Fame for writers. And how cool is that for him. All of these guys are essentially fans who focused their journalism careers and writing on the game they loved. I certainly don't envy the life on the road and having to play the political games to get the interviews and the scoop they are required to get. But, as with Gammons, you do something you love long enough, you will end up having success. Imagine that for him...writing about all of these baseball players, and then you also end up in their hall of fame.

When I moved to Kansas City, I began to read Joe Posnanski's column in the Kansas City Star. He's really pretty good. It's fun to try and get into the mind and hearts of the long-suffering Kansas City Royals fans. I say 'long-suffering,' but I am old enought to remember the Royals being a very good team in the 80's. In fact, I was on a little league team called the Royals for one year. I doubt there are many Royals teams in the little leagues around the country anymore. Lotsa Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Braves. You can tell that Posnanski has been around for it all, and it's fun to keep up with. Each spring he writes a column about how the Royals will win it all. Which is followed later on (not much later) in the season by a column about how the Royals will never win it all. Good stuff.

I like baseball. Weather's getting warmer. Royals are back in town this week.

No comments: