Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Music, lately

Soul Coughing...They've been broken up for a little while now. The lyrics are often nonsense/artsy/beat poet kind of stuff. But they're smooth. I love the way they were recorded. The drums sound great at times. And the bass is most often an upright bass. The keyboard sounds are unconvential, to my liking.

Morcheeba, Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack...With Napster, I can create a 4 hour playlist of music that is related to artists that I like. So what I'll do is select those four and see what comes up. These are my favorite slow-beat, trip-hop artists. Slower than the music blaring from Banana Republic. But just as urban hipster.

Elbow, Elliott Smith, Shins, Doves...just another plug for these folks.

BTW...uncovered an old song by a group called Talk Talk called "It's My Life." It started playing, and I swore I recognized it. Turns out that No Doubt did this song--it's actually a remake. I liked the No Doubt version. The original by Talk Talk is done by a British dude. A well done remake by No Doubt.

1 comment:

Blair said...

I had the opposite experience with "It's My Life." I love the original by Talk Talk. I think it was used in a movie from the 80s that I watched a lot. It's one of the better 80s songs that has fallen by the wayside. DJs have tossed it to make room to play "Tainted Love" every 5th song during an 80s weekend.