Saturday, July 02, 2005

First Day

Okay…so today was my first day as Dr. Caire, officially. I worked from 10am to 6pm in the emergency department, where I will be working this first month.

My day began with a workout downstairs in the gym, followed by a “working” breakfast, where I was eating and getting all of my stuff ready for the day at the same time—kinda like how all those people act in commercials about products that are “time-saving.” I got all my pens in my pockets. My new Zire handheld device. My cell phone in new clip. Strapped on my new scrubs and took my new long white lab coat off the hanger. Got my lunch together. Grabbed a few pocket references, my new courier bag (man bag), my keys, and I was on my way.

What’s your big fear on the first day?...being late. Well, I got to the campus at 9:38 and promptly found the parking garage. I wound my way over to the hospital though the walkovers and mazes of hallways and realized I didn’t really know where I was in the hospital. So now I’m sweating, because I really wanted to be there a little early, but that wasn’t going to happen. Fortunately I bumped into a security man, and he directed me to the ED. I set my stuff down, and put my coat on, and entered the ED to begin my career…with sweat on my brow, at 9:53am.

It was a bit weird, my entry into the ED. I’m one of the doctors, the head honchos. I’ll be making things happen here. Yet none of the nurses, staff, or even my fellow residents or attendings know who I am as I stroll through. They don’t recognize me yet. But I’m about to be working side by side wih all of them to start some healing.

Dr. "B" was my upper level today. He appears to be at home in this job. He has learned multi-tasking, as he was able to write patient notes, look at chest x-rays, and explain to me how to find past calcium levels and ECG readings on the computer all at the same time. I’m guessing I’ll learn that, too. After he had oriented me to how things would operate, I had my first patient.

I haven’t interviewed or examined a patient since March—over 3 months ago. I introduced myself for the first time as “Dr. Caire,” which so tremendously self-assuring I cannot explain. I stumbled through the history and physical, ended up ordering some x-rays, wrote prescriptions, all of which required my signature and approval—once again, as “ORDERING PHYSICIAN: SCaire.” Hmph…kinda neat…I have arrived…somewhere, at least.

Today was a good day. They have lightened our patient load while we acquaint ourselves with the system and the way things work. I felt pretty confident near the end of the day, but that’s somewhat false, because one of these days I’m gonna get nailed by a case that stumps me. That’s expected. But today felt good. My attendings were helpful, and I think I’m gonna be all right.

I had just discharged my sixth patient of the day when my shift ended. No patients left over for the next shift from me. And then I left. No attachments. Time to go home and relax for a little while. Kick back and enjoy the fact that it was a good day. Now, I’ll have to improve on my pace some more. But it was a good first day…and I have very much to learn.

1 comment:

Blair said...

Awesome! I'm really jealous. It sounds awesome.

All but the amount of attention you surely gave to at least one person's rectum. Not including your own.