Saturday, July 02, 2005

Emily's Word World #2

peripheral


She's seething now as she reads this posting, because, for all of the glorious orthodoxy with which my lovely Emily speaks the English language, she regresses to the masses with this one. I have been coaching her on it, too. However, she's not to blame, since this may be one of the most used misspoken words I hear.

per IFF er all

NOT: per IFF ee all

When spelled, the second version should be "periphial." However, note that "peripheral" is not spelled, "periphial."

per IFF er all

Things lie out in the "periphery," not the "peripheeeey."

That's all. And you know I still love ya, babe.

1 comment:

Blair said...

That's okay, Emily...my brother can't say it at all. I don't know exactly how he says it, but I'm positive 'ball' is in there somewhere. Probably where you least expect it.

B