Friday, June 24, 2005

Emily's Word World, #1

My beautiful girlfriend, Emily, loves words and language and correct grammar...thus, I am beginning a line of thoughts classified under "Emily's Word World," which will be dedicated to words, their misuse, mispronunciation, misinterpretation, etc. Here is the first


comfortable

Studying it reveals a 4-syllable word...com-fort-a-bull

Yet everyone says...comf-ter-bull

Three syllables, AND the "er" and "t" are switched.

If we need to drop a syllable, we should more appropriately say...comf-ta-bull

I've done this in front of Emily before, and she immediately stops my train of thought, saying, Wait!...say that again."

I know what she's getting at...

..."I said, 'I'm not comftabull with your picking up on all my idiosyncracies.'"

No comments: