Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Music Recommendations

Band: Elbow
Album: Asleep in the Back
Recent addition to the collection (much thanks to my friend, David Gilbert). Love the 1st track. They are melodic, slower tempo, good for the gray days. If you need comparison, combine Coldplay and Peter Gabriel.

Band: Radiohead
Album: The Bends
Radiohead fans are in one of two camps: those who allege to "The Bends," and those who allege to "OK Computer." My S.R.C. is that people are devoted to which of those two was the first they bought/heard. "Bends" was that for me. If you are a guitar player, this is the best example of excellent rhythm guitar in a modern rock setting. The guitars are adding to the music, not simply backing the singer. Masterful.

Band: Spoon
Album: Girls Can Tell
Great title for an album. I guess it's supposed to make you feel insecure. This is an accessible alternative to the pop song-writing out there. This stuff should grow on you. I began to like this album after letting it spin in my car CD player for many days.

That's all for now.

Listen to these tunes, and let yourself be hippened.



No comments: