Monday, March 20, 2006

Marching

...Is it too early to begin counting down the days until I finish residency and can move? Two years, 3 months to go.

...My body is so confused. I have switched back over to regular daytime hours after spending two weeks on night shift. Today, I slept from 4pm until 1030pm in my bed, extending what was supposed to be a nap. Now I find myself wide awake at 3am. I thought I was past it, but the body refuses.

...Now I am in working in the neonatal ICU, with all the preterm babies. All so small...I'm kinda scared to move them around too much.

...The basketball tournament has been awesome, as it is every year. My bracket predictions were miserably poor, as they are every year. Sucked to see Oklahoma go out early, but I should have predicted it. Too bad Kansas went out 1st round again, meaning that's all we're gonna hear about in KC on the sports radio. Glad to see Air Force lose...

...Going to a concert on Tuesday. Wilco is playing. Should be a good time. Just need to find someone to use the second ticket I bought.

...Finished reading a book that I started in November. Just finished it tonight. A book about Lewis & Clark (mostly Lewis) and their exploration of the Missouri River. The inner nerd in me is fascinated by exploration and discovery, by imagining what the city I lived in looked like when it was small, how the land laid out before construction changed it all, how the streets got their names, why some streets became four-lane, what used to be where the interstates are now. Anyway, it was a long book and I've completed it. Good stuff. Makes me want to vacation in Montana & Idaho and see some of the sites they saw that are reportedly much like they were 200 years ago.

...One year ago I found out I matched for residency in Kansas City. It was one of the best days I've had in years, achieving something I had hoped for so much. My mom was so happy for me. My brother was happy to hear it. My dad was with me when I found out. My ex-girlfriend was excited for me. I was in love. On the weekends, I was playing guitar at a great church with great friends, living a smaller version of my musical dreams on a weekly basis. I miss the guys in the band. Afternoons at the driving range were regular. I was winding down my medical education, enjoying the friendships I made in medical school. Kansas City, here I come! Seemed so exciting...

...Today, so much has changed. Much can change in one year...it has proven to be true, and I hope that bears out again in the next year, just in a different way.

No comments: